Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shoot & Edit: What Says Goodnight (Before & After)

Okay, so here's my edit of the castle picture I linked up earlier this week. I'm not sure I'm happy with it because I think by trying to bring out the blacks more I ended up losing a little too much of the castle, especially the spires at the top. That said, I think the fireworks twinkle a little more and considering it was shot on an iPhone I'm pretty darn happy with it.

So, I edited in ACR to adjust the brightness, contrast, clarity, etc. Next I opened it up and played with the levels a little. I added a soft light adjustment layer and lowered the opacity on that. I tried to reduce the noise some and then I sharpened the image.

Please, please...let me know if you have ideas on what you might have done differently! I really want this to look cool in my scrapbook. :o) And visit Ashley's website to see more "goodnight" edits.


10 comments:

  1. I like what you did but you might consider using a layer mask to erase part of the effect from the castle so you don't lose the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an amazing shot for a phone! I like them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Ha! I'll have to try out the new action I downloaded per your suggestion in the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the edit. Such a cool shot...and from your phone!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot and am with ashley on trying to hold onto the details a bit more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very captivating shot! Great take on "good night" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great capture! If you're referring to Coffeeshop's layer mask action you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Ashley has some great advice :) Cool shot though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the before and the after! You could also try burning some of the darker edges, to make them pop? Although, a layer mask may take care of that. I'm new to this, lol. These are great pictures!

    ReplyDelete